Friday, November 27, 2009

What Other Blogs Do

Step One of Being a Good Blogger, according to Natalie who is an absolute expert and brilliant blogger, is reading other blogs. So, today I visited several bloggers of note. Here is what I found:

1. A woman who really, really loves her rabbits and painstakingly documents their complex social interactions. Admittedly, the rabbits are cute.
2. Another woman who is getting her nails painted every day for the entire year. (I think. It was hard to understand if she was getting all of her nails done every day, or just a single nail done each day. Maybe she is doing her own nails every day?? Regardless, it's ambitious.)
3. A blog about owl tattoos, and the people who have them--obviously, a clear winner in my book.

What this "research" made clear to me is that I don't have any owl tattoos (Yet. But those pictures got me thinking). Nor do I have the financial freedom or patience to be getting my nails done everyday. And I certainly don't have wack-a-doo rabbits, or any other pet, about whom I can take cute photos and tell amusing stories.

But I do have these:

They're a bromeliad and a philodendron (so says my mother). I call them...the bromeliad and the philodendron. And they're hilarious! The bromeliad is totally a classic cactus--you know, kind of stand-offish and independent, while the philodendron is high-maintenance, needy, but pretty endearing for the way it's always reaching out to you with its floppy stems. Adorable. And totally worth blogging about.

Or not. I'm still figuring this whole thing out.

In other news, of professional note, my first story was published in the Hayden's Ferry Review! It came out last week, and even though I haven't had the stomach yet to actually open it up and look, I am pleased as punch about this. Additionally, I spent two hours today working on a different story, and wrote a new line (that's right, one single line) that I really like. It all makes me feel that although the game is far from over, I'm scoring a couple points. Or goals. Touchdowns. I'm on the board. Whatever. Sports metaphors aren't really my bag.

Blog over.