Thursday, March 4, 2010

Testing like Bechdel.

Some of you may have figured out that my slog has an agenda. And my agenda is: me. All me, all the time. My life. My issues. ( The numbers of spiders I've hunted. The way I feel about beets. It's important stuff. We're changing the world, here.)

Apparently, other blogs have real agendas (in the good sense, not the nefarious sense. Not a "hidden agenda," but more like, "a point."). There are political issues that these blogs want to discuss and get people thinking about. Good for them! For example, blogs about feminism. KW edits a thought-provoking blog about feminism and pop culture. What? You want to take a look at it? Okay, go here.

On Wednesday, KW talked to a group of people about feminism, and media literacy, and pop culture. I took a lot of notes, because it's really very important stuff: I love pop-culture, I'd like to think I'm media literate, and I'm definitely a feminist (or, as people kept saying at the conference, "I self-identify as a feminist."). She showed us a clip, and I wrote the note: "Put this up on the blog. Too interesting."

So, now my agenda is to share the agenda of this woman from Feminist Frequency. Watch the clip, and then let me know what you think about this Bechdel test business. I can't believe I have such a hard time thinking of movies that pass the test. You?

Feministically,
Kendall

5 comments:

  1. Here's an interesting compilation of Bechdel movies: http://bechdel.nullium.net/

    I found the discussion about Star Trek particularly interesting: http://bechdel.nullium.net/view/324/star_trek/

    How meaningful is the test when viewing the movie holistically? Take Twilight for example (http://bechdel.nullium.net/view/501/twilight/), it passes the test, but the lead female character is pretty dismal.

    Interesting systemic issue nonetheless.

    But, I am just a guy (a man?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this! I love this! I majored in English and Media Studies in University and took many many Feminist -- Woman-focused courses...I am drooling.

    So true.

    I wonder, though, did it not first start in the home? Have we really come so far that it is media teaching us these untruths, or are we living them and then recreating them in film? I dunno...Maybe I am just a cynic.
    SB


    not too serious i hope

    ps. I may have more to say after watching Connor's links.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Connor, do you ever NOT have a relevant link or video clip? It's like your superpower. So useful, even if you are just a dude. :)

    I like this caveat from the homepage of that link: "Please keep in mind that a movie scoring a [Smiley] does not mean it is at all "good" or feminist friendly, just that it passes all tests."

    SB: Good question. It seems to me that media and culture are embroiled in a co-dependent, "can't have one without another" type thing. I mean, which came first, the chicken or the egg? EH?

    Look at us--dialoguing. I'm proud.

    I wonder if that new movie "Hot Tub Time Machine" will pass the Bechdel test...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha ha! I just saw a preview for that stupid movie last night...sad. and what about couple's retreat? honestly. the worst depiction of both men and women and their stereotypical 'roles'...ugh ugh. Eh! to dialoguing!!!
    SB

    ReplyDelete
  5. hot tub time machine was AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete