Wednesday, March 24, 2010

"Working hard? Or hardly working?"



In college, my friend Andrew gave me a framed copy of the image above. Can you read it? It says, "Procrastination: Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now." For five years, it has been on my desk. Often, when I should be working on a short story, or a lesson plan, or--Heaven knows--a slog post, I look at the picture instead, and I puzzle over the following questions:

1. Is that man standing in a real place? One that actually exists? Where is it?
2. If it is a real place, and it's as high as it appears to be, how cold must it be where he is? Shouldn't it be snowy? He's above mountains! And clouds!
3. What does this picture have to do with procrastination? Or laziness? Is the message supposed to be that if you don't procrastinate, you can climb this mountain? And what if I've got no interest in climbing mountains? I'm terrified of where he is.
4. Why are his shorts SO SHORT??

Then, an hour has gone by, I've done no work, and I start to think I might feel a little bit hungry, and just like that: productivity gone. Truly, if there was a Procrastination Olympics, I could win. But I wouldn't, because I'd be too lazy to turn in the registration form.

Now, I've got this new TV plan. I've got celluloid dreams (not cellulite dreams--certainly not). With this new goal, you know what two personality traits will absolutely not help me on my way? Procrastination and Laziness. Which means I've got to act against my instincts, just like Dexter Morgan. I've been watching a lot of Dexter, lately. Have you seen it? It chills my bones, and also fascinates me. Dexter has to work against his instincts in order to not be a sociopath serial killer, so, we've got a lot in common, obviously.

The point is that I'm consciously trying to be a different, more industrious person. It's hard to change when I've got 27 years practicing one pattern of behavior, but wanting the job I really want is a very good reason to change. And lately, I've had a lot of work to do. Like, a lot. I've been scrambling. I've been stressed. It has not been graceful. But, I haven't totally hated it. Which is surprising! I'm changing.

For proof, look at these text messages from last night:

Mom: "Life going any better yet?"
Me: "Yes, thanks. Digging myself out of the hole. Is it weird that it's been kind of fun?"
Mom: "No, it's usually rewarding when you work hard at seeing difficult or challenging things through."

I think most adults wouldn't need this explained to them. But I did. Because, honestly, it's kind of new to me to enjoy working hard. I hope I can keep it up.

But, I'll keep the Procrastination picture on my desk--if only because I really like the man's shorty shorts.

(more) Productively,
Kendall


6 comments:

  1. Your dad was putting in 14+ hour days for weeks preparing for the biggest hearing of his career and last Friday he won. I too have been jamming at work and on my slim-down plan. It feels really good to be so busy and productive, but Tom finally realized a reward was in order so we are going to Scottsdale for my birthday. My point is, don't forget to reward yourself for your hard work once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's human nature to procrastinate and fear working too hard. I find it somewhat unnerving when I meet someone who works really hard. I think they might be alien.
    SB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Dexter. When you get done with that, move on to Weed and Nip/Tuck. And by the former,of course I mean the TV series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. saw this and thought of you.
    http://www.snorgtees.com/notbeguntoprocrastinate-p-805.html
    guess it no longer fits the New Kendall...

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just procrastinated doing all my monthly billing and reports (BORING) by reading like 20 of your blog posts in a row. thank you, slog. :)

    ReplyDelete