Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Exit Strategies



When I was younger, I used to like throwing a blanket over my dog. Anyone else? Once the blanket was over the dog, she lowered her front legs, kept her butt in the air, and started walking backwards in an attempt to escape. Apparently, a dog's DNA tells it this is the way to respond to being covered in a blanket. It didn't work; usually she'd walk into something. The blanket stayed where it was. The whole performance was awkward, ungainly, and highly entertaining. Then, my anemic little conscience would assert itself, and I'd take the blanket off.

When I thought about leaving Moscow, I decided I didn't want it to be like that. I didn't want to do the equivalent of an awkward, backwards dog-walk out of Moscow. I wanted to leave forwardly, with my butt not in the air but rather right where it should be, behind me. I wanted to say goodbye to everyone and everything with grace and finesse.

It worked. Mostly. (There were some unnecessary tequila shots; I witnessed a strange, awful experiment in gastro-intestinal control, as well as an ill-fated tree-climbing attempt; I played a never-ending game of Buck Hunter at the Alley, where I would've done better if I'd understood sooner that killing "cows" is, in fact, how you lose the game. In each of these instances: little grace and even less finesse.) But there was also low-key, high-quality time spent with friends; a final, reflective run through the arboretum; last glances at a little downtown I've come to love; all my favorite food--because for the rest of my life, when I hear the word "Moscow," I'll salivate--I have never eaten so well; a festive backyard party; a chocolate cake; some stellar mixed tapes; and a sunny drive home on the interstate.

My car is packed beyond all reason, which reduces my visibility to nonexistent, and every time I have to lane change to the right, I have to do it mostly blindly. It is frightening! But each time, I take a deep breath and tell myself I'll be just fine: after all, so far, I've been so lucky.

4 comments:

  1. Eeep! Drive safe! That cake looks amazingly delicious, btw, I hope you enjoyed it. : ) Can't wait for more adventuresome updates from the road!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flowers were graceful flowers.

    -The original anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a brave exciting adventure! Best of luck and drive carefully----we all eagerly await updates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Original Anonymous,

    They certainly were graceful flowers that made my apartment smell really lovely while I cleaned out the grime in the refrigerator drawers and pumiced the toilet bowl. Thank you!

    Anonymous and Carmar 76,

    Thanks for the well-wishes! I'll be sure to keep posting. (The cake WAS delicious. I really believe Heaven is made out of chocolate cake.)

    ReplyDelete