Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Book 'em, Dano. I'm Five-O.

Confetti! Streamers! Strobe lights and slow dances to songs by sweet-voiced R & B groups! My blog is 50 today!

Being fifty, in the blogosphere, is like being thirteen or fourteen in human years. Which is to say, my blog's got a really bad haircut and a totally unrequited crush on someone who sits in front of her during social studies (Brandon Miller.) (He doesn't read this blog.) (Trust me.)

And she dreams that someday they will slow dance to this song:


(It won't happen. He'll date her best friend, she'll date his best friend, everyone with break up with everyone, and isn't that really for the best? It is. Even if she doesn't know it yet. Life.)

In December, I started this blog because, well, the weather was really dark and gloomy, and I was bored, and mostly, I wanted to see if I could do it. It was hard to imagine making it to fifty posts, and I sort of set that number as a mile-marker for myself. Which I have now REACHED. And frankly, I'm not accustomed to reaching my goals. What do I do next?

Do I set my sights on number 100? Is that what goal-reachers do? Just set a new goal that is further out of reach? Sheesh. Exhausting.

(Fifty more posts to go, Blog. Then, a big, big, big party. With candy and slow-dances. We can do it.)

Adolescently,

Kendall

PS: Thank you everyone who offered guesses about the various photos from unpublished posts! Do you want to know the actual reasons for the photos? If not, stop reading! If you do, Okay.



1. Sam Waterson: Marshall and Carmar76, I am obsessed with L&O, and all it's spin-offs, because it is a TV show that is always on. And that's my kind of show. If I ever fought the law, and Jack McCoy came after me, I wouldn't mind it. I think he's cute, and I'm not sorry. The photo, though, was for a post I wrote because I was sure the neighbors on both sides of me were dead. They weren't. One had gone on vacation, and the other had moved his chair back from the window so I couldn't see it when I peered through to check that he was alive, as I do, periodically. I decided that a few less episodes of Law & Order were in order.

2. Lacy Sea Dragon: This one was a misguided attempt to find a picture of my favorite amusement park ride, The Sea Dragon (big viking ship, hurtles your stomach up into your brains as it swings back and forth). The reason why I was looking for a picture of that particular ride was because my blog had just tripled in size in about two days, and that made me feel, also, like my stomach had been hurtled up into my brains. However, this dragon does look like the lettuce in my fridge. (I'm impressed, Ricki!)

3. Just, you know, being embarrassed at security. Which I am. Every. time. I. fly. Twice, in the past month, I've gone through with an attractive boy either in front of or behind me in line, and I hate being barefoot in front of strangers.

4. Both Katie and SB were close on this one. It was just a blog about, um, height (remember, these are posts that were not good). Here are two pictures to illustrate why height is often on my mind.

(This was Jules' beautiful wedding, but some trick of the sand or camera angle made me look, well, Manute Bol-ish. That's me, the giant one on the end.)

(KP's been one of my best friends since we were fourteen--fifty, in the blogosphere--and usually, I forget that we've got a solid 8.5 inches separating us. Her comment on the last post cracked me up, so I had to post this pic.

In high school, our teacher always called us "Mutt and Jeff." I never got the reference. But I just googled them:

KP, thoughts? (I like your top hat.))

PPS: Sorry, my blog is getting loooong and unwieldy in her old-age. Back to brevity tomorrow!

9 comments:

  1. Yay on turning 50! And for your fast growth. I have to admit to being a bit jealous--but happy for your good fortune! Your writing? Is so fun! I'm glad you're having a party. *blows noise maker* (I had to edit that, since I typoed "blows nose maker." Hmnnn, There's a picture for ya.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't just say jealous, did I? Nope. Scratch that. HA! *JUMPS UP AND DOWN CHEERING FOR RANDALL!!!!* Is that better? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Blows nose maker. I like it, Allegria. Sometimes typos are a total blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you're opting to set a new goal and stick with it, since I just found you (thanks to Katie).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the picture of Mutt and Jeff because I am with you; I understood the reference but never quite pictured it like that. I am glad to see I am the short, stocky one and you are the tall, skinny one - story of my life! Either way I like my top hat and will always be your Mutt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hee! L&O has taught me many things, some of them I later wish I did not know. Still, any franchise that gives us Sam, Jerry, Chris Noth (ohhhh), Vincent, Chris Meloni (even more ohhhhh!) and Mariska deserves to be watched every time it's on (24/7, yes, that might be a bit much)!

    Congrats on the big 5-0 & keep up the great blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats, Kendall's blog, on turning 50! Very proud (and entertained, and well informed...) So thank you for that!

    When I see the pic from the wedding (thanks for the shout out, btw), the only thing I see is that you were the ONLY b-maid who expressed her unique style, as per my request. So therefore, you are not Manute Bol-ish but rather Carrie Bradshaw-ish, with a fun yet tasteful flare for accessorizing. Plus the sand is higher where you were standing.

    And KP - I'm with you on the height diff. and just recently switched to wearing flats more than twice a year. It sucks being this short. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have learned to embrace being short - I wear flats almost everyday - I finally said "screw it, i'm more comfortable this way!" people know how short I am - I am not hiding anything by wearing heels! :) Jules I think you will learn to love it!

    ReplyDelete