Monday, February 15, 2010

Kendall Writes a Script.


(This is how I'm going to dress to write my TV episodes, too.)

INT. Night. Kendall's apartment (where, yes, ANOTHER hobo spider has recently been discovered in the shower, and murdered). Kendall sits on her futon, her laptop atop her lap, typing, and occasionally looking ponderously at the ceiling. She speaks quietly to herself.

KENDALL:
What on earth do I blog about today? My Valentine's Day hangover? The fact that I've still only read 120 pages of Moby Dick? What President's Day means to me? I know, I'll blog about software.

I'm a whole lot closer to recognizing my dream of being a TV writer, because now I have FINAL DRAFT 8. What is Final Draft? It is a program that makes a script out of a word document. It has all the necessary formatting! Apparently. I don't actually know how it works yet. (Also, I don't know how to make a TV episode. I know there's an A story, a B story, and sometimes a C story, and tags and buttons, etc. but, I don't know how you make those things. Yet.)

The point is, I've set a goal for myself that seems hard to attain (writing for TV), especially from my spider house on the Palouse, and it's super easy to get bogged down in the size of a dream that seems far, far away. But I think I'm learning something important, which is that I just need to focus on the step that is right in front of me. It becomes sort of manageable and measurable--two helpful qualities with goal-reaching. Today, I got the necessary software. Victory!

Tomorrow: I'll figure out how it works. I can handle it.

Measured and managed,

Kendall


5 comments:

  1. *Jaw drops*

    Holy crap that's Tina Fey!

    Um. If you're bored and want to see me in a wig, you could go here: vimeo.com/connerj

    Also, let me know how your progress goes. I'd possibly be interested in storyboarding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats...one step for you -- one leap for...another day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for writing!

    (I'm very tired, and that was the wittiest comment I could come up with. Please don't stone me.) : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can totally do this! You are smart, witty, kind, observant, and many more great writer qualities. I would love to watch an episode you wrote of Modern Family or something else that's smart and funny. Keep plugging away because I don't think that this is some crazy pipe dream. I think you could really do this! - Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO proud of you. Anonymous is totally right - witty, kind, observant... totally. Now go clean up Hollywood. Maybe you can make Miley Cyrus funny/interesting...

    ReplyDelete