Thursday, January 21, 2010

Sweet Things.

1. Remember about ten years ago, when Oprah had to live in Texas for, like, six months, while she was the defendant in a massive trial because on her TV show she said, "Beef is gross"? and then the cattle industry was like, "Oh no, she is going to cost us millions of dollars! LAWSUIT!" Remember that?

Well, listen, I don't want that to happen with me and honey. I love honey, and I want the world to know it. Now that I have thirty-two followers (THIRTY TWO??? That's the power of the Rat!), I need to be responsible about the fact that this blog is becoming very influential. ;)

To wit: I love honey. Look at my cute little honey bear! I use it all the time on my peanut butter toast. So what if it's puke--bad with the good, and all that. I'll keep using honey. So we're clear, I've got mad respect for honey bees.

"My love is a hundred pitchers of honey." --Jack Gilbert, Phenomenal Poet

"That sounds very sticky." --Kendall

2. Sweet Poems by Japanese School Children (as pinned to my office door):
(to clarify: the poems are pinned to the office door. Not the children.):

If I Were an Ant
Suppose I were an ant.
I'd be lazy
for sure.
And
I wouldn't save my food--
I'd eat lots.

--Hitomi Takesi, Third Grade

Sunset Sky
Mom--
the sunset sky is pretty, isn't it?
The crows are eating it.
Mmmm, they say.
Delicious!
But just
a little
sour.

--Igarashi Yuko, Kindergarten

Crow
A crow is pitch black.
You can't see where its eyes are.
A big one look likes
a flying sushi roll.
A very big one looks like
a flying garbage bag.

--Aoki Suguru, Third Grade

Dream
I had a dream
that a ghost appeared
and ate me up.
But then
my sister
ate the ghost.
My sister
is incredible.

--Shimaoka Kotaro, First Grade

Beautiful, right?

Poetically,
Kendall

5 comments:

  1. Hello Kendall,
    I'm another ring in from the Rat, and I hope you don't mind, but I've just spent the last hour poring over all your posts for this month. You are wonderful (if I may say so)!
    Now, honey is bee vomit? I don't care, I say! I'll happily continue to eat it, despite it's unsavoury origins. Like a dog with cat poo. I know, that's kind of gross, right? That's my dog...
    So, I'm going to follow you, if that's alright? I sure hope so. Otherwise I'll just have to stalk and leave Anonymous posts instead.
    SV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the poetry. A crow as a flying garbage bag? AWESOME imagery. And yes, lucky you getting a mention from Nat. Le sigh. I could only hope for such a plug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! Have to let you know that the word that I had to type for the last post was: YERMINTI.

    For some reason, that made me laugh. I'm not minty, yet. Need to go brush my teeth yet this morning. You?

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I can't follow your blog anymore, as you are far too popular and I no longer feel worthy. Every time I sign on you have several more followers. Who is this Rat person, and how do I ingratiate myself to this woman who is obviously a heavy-duty trend setter?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah Vella!

    Allegria, I have been tempted to undo that Spam-check feature, except that several people have told me about the entertaining nonsense they get asked to spell, so I think I'll keep it.

    Robin: the Rat is like Jason Bourne of the Blogosphere. She finds you. ;)

    ReplyDelete