Thursday, January 7, 2010

Well, really, this is a whole lotta nada.



Yesterday, I got so caught up in my anti-platform platform, that I forgot to say, "Greetings from the Spider House!"

This is a picture of the outside of it, and as I write this, I am inside it, sitting at the little window in the upper right hand corner. Can you see it? That's my window--my desk is right inside.

Maybe it is not fair to call it the Spider House, because I have only seen two Hobo spiders (but both in my shower, just about to gun for my vulnerable toes), and only a few other spiders besides that, but one of those was behind one of my pillows, so I think it counts for several spiders.

But, really, Spider House feels right, because it is a little bit webby, a little bit broken-down, a lot bit old, creaky, lean-y, and there are several dark corners where I fear to tread. Crooks and crannies for days, really.

It feels good to be back! When I first pushed open the front door after three weeks away, I imagined finding 1.) hundreds of spiders, making dinner, lounging on my futon, watching my cable, and looking up sort of surprised to see me, like, "Excuse us, but who are you?," 2.) a terrible smell made by whatever is hanging out with the tortillas behind the fridge, or 3.) that my bedroom had finally fallen off the leaning house, and was waiting for me in the backyard.

What I actually found was: just a pile of mail. Catalogues full of stuff I can't afford, Christmas cards from friends who had their shit together this holiday season, and overdue bills. Bor-ing. In fact, life has gotten a little bit less eventful now that I'm back. I spend all morning in my pajamas, paying bills and organizing for the upcoming semester (and yes, okay, YES, checking Facebook) (and, yes, today I watched some Jersey Shore, but just to make sure Snooki was okay after she got snooki-punched). Then, I go to the gym (last updated 1987), which is such a ridiculous, smelly, shaky place that I wish I could take pictures of it, but I think gym-people would not really love that. Then, I get hungry, and today, that meant that I had to do what I hate to do. What I really hate to do.


(this may be one of the most American photos I've ever taken.)

WINCO. Winco is cheap. It is also huge. It is also designed to make people who grocery shop alone feel really, really bad. It does this by: a.) staging the store with actors who pretend to be part of really sweet-faced, young, coed couples, or young parents with cute babies that smile at you while you're picking out soup; or, old, slow-moving couples that make you think, 'oh sweet J, please let me have a grocery partner when I'm that old,' and b.) having you bag your own groceries.

The panic--the pure panic!--when I'm trying to bag my groceries, not over-loading any one bag, or crushing the bread, or cracking the eggs, etc., when the cashier, who is so fast, has already filled up the conveyor across from yours with the next customer's groceries, so he begins sending the third customers down onto your belt, and everything is backing up, and it's all your fault, and it's so hot in here, plus you've banged your funny bone on the edge of your cart, and you can't get the orange juice to fit in any of the bags so you'll just have to carry it separately...

I'm still not over it.

Luckily, I invested in twelve cans of diet coke, and I've cracked the first cold one, and I've got it sitting next to me in my creaky, droopy, Spider House, and a 30 Rock re-run is about to begin, and it's pretty nice, overall. Even if everything I've eaten today tasted a little bit like soap. Which has been weird, but manageable. I'll solve that mystery tomorrow.

Disjointedly yours,

Kendall

3 comments:

  1. I am glad to know that DC saves you too! Missing you in that spider house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your WinCo sounds so much better than my WinCo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KP: you know how I feel about DC. It's the best kind of medicine. And Megan, it is actually a weirdly wholesome, happy Winco. Except for me, of course.

    ReplyDelete